Do you have a servant’s heart and want to help individuals in a big way? Glenwood may be your perfect career match. Read on for info about the organization’s upcoming Career Fair on Friday, October 21, plus get a behind-the-scenes look at one Glenwood employee’s important role.
Wondering if Glenwood is your perfect career match, here are some things to know about the organization and how they serve those in the Greater Birmingham Area and beyond.
- Glenwood is a thriving nonprofit dedicated to educating and treating individuals from ages 18 months to adults in their senior years who have been diagnosed with autism and other behavioral health needs.
- Through a mission to enable individuals to live life to their fullest potential, Glenwood touched the lives of over 8,000 individuals and their families in 2021 through their unique programs and services.
- Glenwood’s treatments and services are creatively tailored to enhance each person’s opportunities for success.
Learn more about Glenwood’s many programs here.
Meet Emily, a Glenwood employee changing lives
Emily Price is a Senior Direct Support Professional (DSP) at Glenwood, in the Daniel House Program—a highly-structured, intensive, residential treatment program for boys ages 6-14 with severe emotional and behavioral challenges.
In her role at Glenwood, Emily provides individuals in the program with direct care, in many ways taking over the role of caregiver for many kids who are in foster care and don’t have a home.
“I pick them up from school, feed them, participate in activities, put them to bed… we have a whole routine. They need someone who’s willing to love them and support them even on their worst days.”Emily Price, DSP, Glenwood
As a social work major at the University of Montevallo (UM), Emily didn’t know what she wanted to do as a career, but she did know she wanted to do something that involved serving people. Through UM, she landed an internship at Glenwood and upon graduating college, she was offered a full-time position.
“This is a great job where you can gain experience. I started as an intern with no experience. But everyone is super helpful about helping you learn and get experience and move up in the chain of things. As long as you have a servant’s heart, we can teach you the rest.”Emily Price, DSP, Glenwood
Who makes the ideal Glenwood candidate?
If you’re wondering whether you’d be a great employee match for Glenwood, here’s what Glenwood’s HR Recruiter Ashlin Grant has to say:
“We’re looking for top-tier applicants, but also someone with a servant’s heart who wants to make a difference in the lives of the individuals we serve. That’s the most important thing.”Ashlin Grant, HR Recruiter, Glenwood
Glenwood is actively recruiting for these positions:
- Direct Support Professional (DSP)
- Behavior Teacher Assistant (BTA)
- Registered Behavior Technician (RBT)
- Special Education Teacher
Bonus: Glenwood provides employee programs that allow for career advancement. They can also help you attain specific certifications.
More reasons to attend Glenwood’s Career Fair, October 21
Now that you’ve had a behind-the-scenes look at one of Glenwood’s employees and career options, it’s time to discover even more about the Career Fair on Friday, October 21 from 9AM-2PM.
- You’ll have the opportunity to speak with multiple members of Glenwood’s staff and learn about various career positions.
- There will be on-site job interviews. Nail the interview and leave with a job!
- You’ll get to see Glenwood’s gorgeous campus. Spanning 363 acres, the campus is ensconced in a gorgeous wooded area with beautiful trees, pathways and access to Turkey Foot Lake.
- Every hour there will be drawings for door prizes. PLUS, you’ll go home with some great swag.
Have a resume? Bring it with you. If not, no worries! You should still attend the Career Fair on Friday, October 21.
What: Glenwood Career Fair
When: Friday, October 21 | 9AM-2PM
Where: Glenwood Chapel, 150 Glenwood Lane, Birmingham, AL 35242 (located off Sicard Hollow Rd)
Requirements: 18 years + older | High School Diploma or GED
Cost: Free | Open to public
Interested in joining Glenwood’s staff? Check out their open job opportunities.
Credit: Patience Itson, Bham Now.