Research shows the earlier a child, diagnosed with ASD, can begin receiving treatment, the more they will improve. The Preschool Day Treatment Program at Glenwood, Autism & Behavioral Health Center provides typically developing children and children with autism low student to teacher ratios.
The Preschool Day Treatment Program follows the School Readiness Program and is conveniently located to Cahaba Heights, Grants Mill and Liberty Park area. (Map Driving Directions)
Glenwood’s newest service, meets the educational and social-emotional needs of young children diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), through structured preschool classrooms with typical peers, Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA), Individualized Support Plans, Parent Support & Training, Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy.
The Preschool Program currently has openings for typically developing children and children with autism. For more information please contact Angelia Reed.
PREP, Glenwood’s pre-school service component offers services to pre-school programs, Headstart and other early intervention programs throughout the state. On a local level these same services are contracted to Birmingham Metropolitan area School Systems, Harris Early Learning Center, and other providers. Students in all of our programs are eligible for psychiatric consultation, a service that is provided several days a week at Glenwood’s Outpatient Services.
Preschool Day Treatment Program components include:
- Six children with a diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and six typically developing peers who will serve as role models
- Increased social awareness and interaction with peers
- Reduction in behavioral issues due to careful planning and engineering of the environment
- Ample opportunities for communication and language development
- Typical peers gain confidence and leadership skills
- Typical peers will also gain acceptance of others whose needs may be different than their own.
- Preschool hours are 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. with before school care at 7 a.m. and after school care until 5 p.m.